Singapore - Located in the heart of Chinatown, People’s Park Food Centre is one of Singapore’s long-established hawker centres, offering a wonderful glimpse into our traditional hawker culture. With its bustling atmosphere and many long-running food businesses, it remains a favourite destination for those seeking affordable local food.
My first stop was Koo Kee Yong Tow Foo Mee (#01-1114), a brand that began as a humble independent hawker stall here in 1954 before expanding into multiple outlets across Singapore. I ordered their signature yong tau foo mee and enjoyed the thin, springy noodles, just the way I like them.
The portion came with enough ingredients to make a satisfying lunch. It was a pleasant reminder of how a traditional hawker business can grow while retaining its roots.
Next, I tried the iconic Singaporean dish, fried oyster omelette (#01-1080), priced at $6. This stalled had 4 uncles churning out the dishes. My fried oyster dish had five oysters, ranging from rather small ones to two plump pieces. The sizes were inconsistent, but the oysters tasted fresh, and the dish was an acceptable rendition of this local favourite.
For dessert, I visited a cheng tng stall run by an elderly couple. There were two other stalls selling similar desserts, but a regular customer told me this was the best and cheapest. Sometimes, recommendations from fellow diners are worth following, especially when exploring a traditional hawker centre.
I ended my food trail at Chop Hean Kuan (#01-1018), a handmade bao and dim sum stall with a history dating back to 1929. I tried both the char siew pau and the small pork pau. Served hot, both were delicious and comforting, making them a satisfying finale to my meal.
Overall, People’s Park Food Centre is more than just a place to eat. Its long-established stalls, traditional recipes and generations of hawker heritage make it a worthwhile destination for anyone interested in Singapore’s food culture.








No comments:
Post a Comment