Wednesday, August 19, 2026

A Food trail at Chong Boon Market & Food Center

 Singapore - Today, I decided to take a little lunch adventure to Chong Boon Market & Food Centre. Getting there was surprisingly easy — I hopped on Bus 45, and just about 15 minutes later, I arrived at this neighbourhood hawker centre. Sometimes the best food discoveries are just a short bus ride away!


My first stop was 339 AMK Carrot Cake, also known as Sheng Fa Ji, located at #01-14. The stall, run by Mr. Tan Bak Seah, is known for its soft and flavourful carrot cake and a rather potent chilli sauce. I went for the smallest plate at just $4.

The carrot cake was soft, savoury and satisfying, with the chilli adding a nice kick. For a simple plate of fried carrot cake, it certainly started my lunch on a good note.

Next, I tried 453 Fish Soup, where the Batang fish soup cost $5.50. Unfortunately, this was the disappointing dish of the day. I love Batang fish, and having eaten plenty of fresh Batang over the years, I can usually tell when the fish has been frozen and thawed. The meat here did not taste particularly fresh and lacked the firm, clean texture I look for in fresh Batang. Sadly, this bowl did not meet my expectations.

To finish lunch, I headed over to Lucky Soya Bean Milk at #01-26 and ordered bean curd for dessert. This was a much better ending with a smooth, silky and delicious curd. It was exactly what I needed after the disappointing fish soup.

Overall, it was a mixed lunch experience: good carrot cake, disappointing fish soup, and a very enjoyable bean curd to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Food trail at Chong Boon Market & Food Center

 Singapore - Today, I decided to take a little lunch adventure to Chong Boon Market & Food Centre . Getting there was surprisingly easy...